Tale of a Big-Boned Gal

Story of a woman undergoing gastric bypass surgery.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Hospital Chronicles - Episode 6: There's No Place Like Home

Sunday, May 21, 2006 I awoke at 5:00 AM (as usual when the Vampire came again). I got up, cleaned up, and walked around a bit before breakfast. I sat in the chair and reflected on my stay here. I knew the doctor was going to release me today because he promised. My night nurses said goodbye and the day staff came on. Laura, the nurse who saved me after the "incident" was on duty. I was glad it was her. I had a breakfast tray with some yogurt and cream of wheat (yumm...) and then Anita came in. We sat and talked for a while, took a walk and then asked when they thought the doctor would be there. "Well, it's Sunday so we don't usually see them until after 11." ELEVEN!! UGH!

So I went back to bed and had a short cat nap, all the while watching the clock. Soon I heard telltale whistling (yes, the doctor whistles). I immediatly sat upright. He came into the room and looked at my scar, checked out my chart and then said "So, do you wanna go home?" "Uhm YES PLEASE." He went back out the the nurse's desk to write my order. I jumped out of bed and grabbed my suitcase and immediatly put on my underpants. That's right - I got them back! Anita helped me get everything packed up and I put on my house dress and was ready.

It actually went pretty fast. He wrote me a prescription for some pain meds (score!) and a shower chair. It took a little while for Laura to process everything but I was out of there a little after 12 noon! Anita pulled the car around to the ER entrance and I was outta there! It felt really good to breathe fresh air, see the sun, all that stuff. And now I'm a new person with new insides! I'm ready to face the world man!

We drove home to Marshalltown via the scenic route (14 south to the Rock Creek road). It was pleasant. We got home and Anita unloaded all my accouternaments I had obtained at the hospital. You know, the breathing machines, the jug, etc. I had a shower in my own shower where I washed my own hair! I put on a nightgown - with a back on it! I was ready..... ready to lay down. I laid down on the bed and went to sleep. It was nice. All the kitties were so happy to see me. They all slept with me that night. There was very little room in the bed, but that was okay with me.

It's true, Auntie Em, there is no place like home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home