Tale of a Big-Boned Gal

Story of a woman undergoing gastric bypass surgery.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Embracing the Tiger

I believe strongly in our ability to derive great power from being real, feeling and expressing love, and finding inner peace. To deal with our pain, we first must embrace the pain before sending it on its way; this sounds similar to the Tai Chi posture called “Embracing the Tiger.”



I remember a story as a child about the Rabbit and the Tiger. We know that these fairy tales always have underlying themes and morals that help provide direction and guidance for our lives.

“Early one morning, Rabbit was still fast asleep. 'Ahhhh...whew...ahhhh...whew.' Suddenly, from someplace not too far away, came a terrible sound. "AAARRRGGHHH!!!" It was the sound of Tiger's roar. For his entire life, Rabbit had outrun the tiger that ruled this part of the forest. But today would be different. Rabbit had decided he was through running away in fear. Today, he would use his wits, turn around, and face the tiger”.

As the Rabbit avoided the ferocious Tiger, so do we try to avoid those things that bring anxiety and stress to our lives. However, since we cannot avoid all stressors and anxiety-producers all the time, we must learn to resolve them when we can, to keep our lives peaceful, fulfilled, and healthy.

“In the strongest voice he could muster, Rabbit spoke to the Tiger. ‘Last night while you were hunting, there was a meeting of all the animals. They decided that you are no longer ruler here... and they said... they said that I am now the fiercest beast in the forest!’

‘Ha! That's a good joke!’ roared Tiger. ‘Now I will eat you.’

‘Ah, Ah... I can prove it,’ said Rabbit, trembling inside. ‘All the animals are terrified of me. Let me ride on your back through the forest... if all the animals don't run away in fear, that will prove I am a liar, and then I will let you eat me.’

After this, Rabbit bravely jumped on Tiger's back, and urged him to walk on. Sure enough, all the animals stared at Rabbit in shock, thinking he must have gone crazy to climb on top of Tiger's head and would surely be eaten at any moment. And just as Rabbit had predicted, each and every animal turned away and ran.”


Obesity-Related Co-Morbidities
Obesity-related health conditions are health risks that, whether alone or in combination, can significantly reduce your life expectancy. A partial list of some of the more common obesity related health conditions follows. Your doctor can provide you with a more detailed and complete list:

· Type 2 Diabetes
· High blood pressure/Heart disease
· Dyslipidemia/High Cholesterol: Dyslipidemia means a disorder of fat-like substances in the blood. A common form of dyslipidemia is what people often refer to as "high cholesterol."
· Osteoarthritis of weight-bearing joints
· Depression
· Sleep apnea/Respiratory problems
· Gastroesophageal reflux/Heartburn
· Infertility
· Menstrual irregularities

I possess 6 of these co-morbidities currently. It is my intention to not contract any more of them and to rid myself of those that I can control.

“Tiger stopped walking. Slowly turning his head, he spoke to Rabbit with a new tone, ‘What you say is true. Clearly, you are the fiercest animal in the forest.’

Rabbit hopped off Tiger's back. Tiger lowered his head and walked away. And he was never seen in that part of the forest again. So, the clever Rabbit was able to live and nap in peace!”


That Rabbit! How courageous he was! It takes courage to face risks and do something about them. We all need to face the Tiger and maintain a normal, healthy weight. While these are not guarantees against disease, they significantly reduce our risks. I have chosen a path that will help me gain control over the pain and the fear. I’m ready to embrace the tiger.

3 Comments:

Blogger Netto said...

No, actually I didn't but it's cool isn't it? We really need to get some tats, Jill!

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the story of the tiger and the rabbit. You are truly brave. I know where you are coming from because we all have those fears in our lives.

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Net

I just learned of your decision and blog. Right on, sister! It is a scary but brave choice and I am sending all the good vibes, karma, and spiritual support I can.

You have always been a beautiful woman with an incredible voice and talents--it would be a loss to the world if you were to leave us early. Please do this to bless us with your presence as long as possible.

mandy

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home