Tale of a Big-Boned Gal

Story of a woman undergoing gastric bypass surgery.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Last Dance

Friday is my last day at MICA. Last weekend I went in on Saturday and met with Angela to show her a few things, and then Anita came over and we packed up everything in my office into 3 boxes. As we were leaving it occurred to me that there was 12 years of my life in those boxes; the pillow guitar that Dave H. gave me to play air guitar, the "Buffalo" award that Dave D. gave me, the picture Rachel drew of a lobster saying "Eat Me." These are incredible memories and at least I still have those "things." As we left I didn't know if I should feel glad or sad. It was emotional, but I just didn't know what emotion it was.

Last Friday, Myra informed me that they hired a temp from Robert Half in Des Moines on a 90 day contract. His name is Tim. He came to work on Tuesday and I have been working with him this week. Let me just say that it's impossible to impart 12 years of knowledge and experience to someone in 4 days. At least he will have Angela and Becky there to help him understand some things. After a meeting this morning he came into my office and said "This isn't just technical work." I said "No, far from it." He said "You do so much with policy, grant requirements, compliance issues, how do you do that and still do all this technical work?" Well, that's the real trick, isn't it? I don't know. It's experience. I just hope that things will get on track and they will be successful with my department. I will miss the people there, that is for sure.

So now I have 2 days of work left and I'm starting to get a little crazy. There are so many things I wanted to finish, but I guess some of those things just won't get finished. I don't know what else to say. I'm just not willing to work all day and at night on this stuff. I will show Tim what I can, and then he can email me with questions (I already gave him my email address).

My emotions are mixed right now and I'm having a little trouble sleeping. I hope this goes away eventually. This was probably the biggest decision I've ever made in my life and I don't regret making it. As my friend Mick said, "There is life after MICA..."

Stay tuned.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Net,

Yeah, it is emotional leaving a place you've worked with for so long. I know exactly how you feel. At the end of the day though, you just let it go and get on with *your* life. Like you said, it's nice having those three boxes of "things", but in a few weeks those "things" won't matter so much as the memories you take with you. The best part is that you have a great opportunity to make new memories and meet new friends. You're good at both. I'll let you in on a little secret too, once you settle in to a new routine, those emotions you feel right now will turn into joy, freedom and "a new hope" (in honor or the DVD release).

Love ya,

- G

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My personal feeling was one of release the moment I stepped outside of the building on my last day.

When I worked in M'town many years ago a good friend, who has since died, offered me one of his folksy gems while he watched me try to do it all on the job: "Put your hand in a bucket of water and when you take it out see what a hole you leave."

I would laugh and tell him I would take a few drips with me! He was right, of course.

Once you start a new adventure the old ones quickly fade to their rightful places in your memories.

Make it a great adventure!

~Sheryl

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At every journey's end there's a whole new beginning. Enjoy the dance.
--LJ

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home