Tale of a Big-Boned Gal

Story of a woman undergoing gastric bypass surgery.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Back in the Saddle Again

Thanks for the support on the shower gel thing. I got over it, eventually, and yes Jill I did have to brush my teeth with toothpaste...

So the interview went really well. In fact it went so well they hired me the day and I started work on Monday! That's right! So I've been there a week and I can tell you that it's almost completely opposite of where I used to work.

First of all, I work at a building that is nothing but computer nerds. That's right, I'm in my element because computer nerds love me. Mostly because I know what they are talking about but also because I'm funny (sorry no need for modesty here - I lost that when they took away my underpants in the hospital in May). Everyone there is really nice and helpful. I'm in charge of finishing up a project by the end of March involving Active Directory - which I didn't know anything about but I learned pretty fast. The second project will start in April and I will be coordinating site surveys and gathering data to analyze for the Remote Users Support System project. And folks, that's the kind of stuff I know.

Now, why is this different than the last place I worked? Well, let me start by talking about meetings. When we have a meeting that's scheduled from 2 to 3 pm - you better believe it's over at 3 pm. In my previous position, everyone had to get to the the meeting (no conference calls), then we had to listen to everyone's stuff (for lack of a better word) for about 4 hours. Sometimes we'd get a lunch break and sometimes we wouldn't. Sometimes these meetings would last for 6 hours. In the place I work now, everyone has tasks to do and those tasks need to get done WITHIN the range of the business day... so there's no fooling around (okay there's a little, but not too much). So we never work after 5 pm or on weekends.

It's the corporate world now, baby and I think I'm going to fit in. I really like it so far and I will be giving updates as things progress. Who knows, in 6 months I might hate it, but right now I'm crazy about it. I have my own desk in my own cube and my own computer and everything. Oh, and Rachel - there's a section of the building that is nothing but files - in a file room - with file clerks that do nothing but file stuff - and yes it's locked...

So this came as kind of a surprise, but a good one. And it came at a pretty good time - because I NEED MONEY!

Next - my friend Greg and his buddies used to mess around in the recording studio when he worked in Chicago. His "band" called Rankenstein did some pretty cool stuff. Some videos were recently uploaded to Youtube, so here are the links:
Mr. Shu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzC2eNLf76Q
Action Figure (I sing all the background female vocals on this one!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RP2lRtOgm0
Asian Babes on Parade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlZePl-ZQpM

Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the working world! 'Bout time you started pulling your weight here. Which should make your job that much easier as well :-). And nice vocals babe.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home