Tale of a Big-Boned Gal

Story of a woman undergoing gastric bypass surgery.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

"Don't you f*cking look at me..."



So last night was the first night I used my C-PAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine. Dr. Rizavi (a cute little neurologist I know) explained to me that during my sleep study (another whole story) that I woke up 120 times in the first hour. My O2 sat dropped to 70. Did you know that oxygen deprivation can cause brain damage? Hmmm, I'll have to think about that one (ouch! I huurt my brain!).

Anyway, so Monday I went to the American Home Patient store and picked out my very own REMster 3000. It's a cute little machine with a little tank of distilled water to humidify the air that it pumps into your nose. It has a cute little hose and a nose mask that looks just like the one that Frank Booth had in David Lynch's film Blue Velvet. In fact, as I got the whole thing adjusted on my head and climbed into bed to get some serious rest, Miss Wiskers jumped on the bed as usual to curl up next to my pillow. She took one look at me and stopped cold! She was scared to death of me! After I said "It's okay kitty - it's still mommy!", and she ran like lightning out of the room, I muttered to myself the famous line: "Don't you f*cking look at me!"

So I slept with the mask on and no kitties. I'm sure it will take time for them to get used to it as it will me. I didn't really feel any different today than usual, so I'm hoping it's because it takes a while to really notice the benefits.

And as an aside, the machine has a "smart card" that is stuck in the side like a credit card. There is a program that measures the frequency and length of time the machine is used. After a month, I send this card to my insurance company and they analyze the data. If the data shows that I'm not being "compliant," they won't pay. Isn't insurance a Godsend?

So tonight I'm ready to get back in the harness and get some much needed rest. But don't be surprised if the next time you see me, I have a bottle of Pabst Blue Ribbon and a tank of helium...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home